The business development manager will oversee the retail and wholesale aspect of the business. The manager will be required to provide strategic direction, drive the company’s sales target and manage its business relationships, while creating new ones. The business development manager is also responsible for providing market intelligence, strategy formulation, implementation expertise and business operation improvement skills.
New Business Development
- Identify potential clients and the decision makers across all verticals within corporate sectors including FMCG, Financial Services, OEM, Media & Entertainment, Government, Aviation, Transportation, Telecommunications etc.
- Build, maintain and leveraging available network of contacts to generate new leads.
- Convert new leads to clients by identifying business needs, managing accounts, cold calling, prospecting, developing a thorough needs analysis and closing targeted opportunities in line with goals set.
- Have a full understanding of the Company’s products and services and generate demand by presenting them to potential clients through direct communication in face-to-face meetings, telephone calls and emails.
- Achieve set financial targets from all accounts managed (HVCs, RC and Corporate clients).
- Review and monitor competitor products and services, identifying shortfalls, advantages in comparison to the Company’s offerings thus;
- Recommend enhancements that will give the Company a clear competitive advantage.
- Drive new business by promoting the company’s unique selling propositions and differentiators to prospective clients in comparison to competitors.
- Actively manage the sales process: leads, prospecting, qualifying, need analysis, proposal, objections, closing & follow up.
- Develop sales growth strategies; tactics and action plans required to achieve all the key objectives (financial, operational and customer satisfaction).
- Prepare proposals relevant to the client’s needs, goals, roadmap and where applicable in response to request for proposals and quotes.
- Partake in contractual and financial negotiations, where required.
Client Relationship / Account Management
- Managing the company’s business relationships by overseeing the company’s corporate and high value accounts including following-up on transactions and payments while looking for new business opportunities.
- Establish and build relationships with clients on all levels; from officers to executives (CXOs/senior management/Board of Directors) to ensure the set financial targets are achieved and exceeded.
- Executing all the elements of the company’s marketing and sales plan: product development, pricing, promotions and distribution activities
- Identify new sales opportunities within existing accounts by up-selling and cross-selling.
- Ensure all new/existing services are approved, launched and appropriately campaigned on MNOs network.
- Ensure timely responses and coordinate resolution to all complaints, queries, requests, and suggestions from clients and partners as the Company’s main interface.
Business Development Planning
- Actively monitor market trends through clients and by attending industry functions (association events, seminars, conferences) thus recommending new products, services and marketing channels that will lead to an increase in sales.
- Coordinate and/or represent the Company in promotional events and marketing activities.
Management And Reporting
- Provide timely and accurate periodic reports including; revenue reports, sales pipeline, activity reports etc. weekly, monthly, quarterly, bi-annually and annually to executive management.
- Carryout business development training and mentoring to subordinates and other internal staff.
- Ensure internal collaboration and communication with other functional teams to meet customer needs and operational efficiency within the Company.
- Perform other assigned duties as delegated by management from time to time.
- Will play a strategic/support role in managing external stakeholders especially: partners, vendors, clients and regulatory authorities etc., as this relates to the company’s business
Job Requirement & Skills
- B.Sc. degree in any relevant field. Post Graduate Degree, MA/MBA/M.Sc [strongly recommended]
- 4– 6 years’ work experience in sales, marketing or account management with a track record for achieving sales targets.
- Have a very good knowledge of the African, especially the Nigerian business environment and should possess strategic relationships from past work experience
- Certificate Management Programs (e.g. Business Development) (added bonus)
- Be energetic and self-driven
- Be able to think logically and clearly and exhibit strong problem solving abilities
- Exhibit superior presentation, public speaking, written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrate intermediate project management abilities
- Demonstrate strong negotiation skills
- Ability to engage and drive others to deliver targets
- Demonstrate ability to set individual work plans and manage time and work with limited supervision to meet deadlines
- Exhibit a collaborative and team-oriented spirit
- Collaborate with senior management, working with them to effectively execute strategies and projects
Other Skills and Qualifications
Networking, Persuasion, Prospecting, Public Speaking, Research, Writing, Closing Skills, Motivation for Sales, Prospecting Skills, Sales Planning, Identification of Customer Needs and Challenges, Territory Management, Market Knowledge, Meeting Sales Goals, Professionalism, CRM, and Microsoft Office.